Does watching television make you feel like the Danny Devito of the male world? Here are the real stats of the average American man. This is either going to make you feel better or confirm you’re going to have to overachieve:
Average Man (General Stats)
- The average man is 34.4 years old.
- The average man is married with two children.
- The average man earns $36,100 per year and has $3,100 in the bank.
- The average man sleeps about 7 hours on a work night.
Average Male (Fitness Stats)
- Age when the average guy is in the best shape of his life: 23 years
- The average man is about 5′ 9″ tall.
- He weighs 175 pounds.
Age (yrs) 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 60-69 Weight (lbs) 168 179 182 185 184 Weight (kg) 76 81.1 82.6 84 83.5
- Percentage of men who consider themselves “physically fit”: 69%
- Percentage who actually are: 13%
- Time it takes the average guy to run a mile: 8 minutes, 34 seconds
- Time it takes the average American man to run 1.5 miles: 12 minutes, 45 seconds
Age (yrs) 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 60-69 Time (m:s) 12:18 12:51 13:53 14:55 16:07
- Pounds the average man can bench-press one time: 160
Age (yrs) 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 60-69 Max. Weight (lbs) 180 158 143 128 116
- Number of sit-ups he can do in 1 minute: 36
Age (yrs) 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 60-69 Sit-ups 40 36 31 26 20
- Number of push-ups he can do with good form in 1 minute: 27
Age (yrs) 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 60-69 Push-ups 33 27 21 15 15
- Number of pull-ups he can do: 1
- Resting heart rate of a fit man: 52 beats per minute
- Time it takes a fit man to log 8,000,000 heartbeats: 30 years
- Resting heart rate of a man who’s out of shape: 72 beats per minute
- Time it takes an out-of-shape man to log 8,000,000 heartbeats: 19 years
Average Male (Body Measurements)
- Average male bicep size: 13 inches (flexed)
- Average male chest size: 40 inches (inhaled)
- Average male waist size: 34 inches
Average Male (Fun Facts)
- Amount of muscle the average sedentary guy loses each year: 1 pound
- Amount of fat he gains each year: 1.1 pounds
- The part of a man’s body that is the biggest turn-on for the average woman: his butt
- The part the average guy spends the most time trying to develop: his chest
- Percentage of men who don’t belong to a gym: 88%
- Average cost of a 1-year gym membership: $648
- Amount the average 40-year-old man would save each year in medical expenses if he exercised regularly: $949
- Time period when the typical gym is least crowded: 10:00am to 11:30am
- Percentage of men who would never skip another workout if… they could build twice the muscle with half the effort: 40%
- Percentage of men who would never skip another workout if… women began wearing see-through spandex: 16%
- Exercise equipment the average guy is most likely to own: dumbbells
- Percentage of men who use their fitness equipment as… a place to hang their clothes: 45%
- Percentage of men who use their fitness equipment as… a doorstop: 13%
- Number of men who would rather work out than have sex: 1 in 7
- Percentage of men who think that gyms are pickup joints: 14%
- The life expectancy of the average man is:
Year Born 1950 1960 1970 1980 1990 1997 Life Expectancy (yrs) 65.6 66.6 67.1 70.0 71.8 73.6