Jorge Garcia, the critically-acclaimed actor, is best known for his roles on TV shows (such as Lost and Hawaii Five-O). That said, he’s made headlines recently for his impressive weight loss journey and his dedication to living a healthier lifestyle.
Just how much weight did Jorge Garcia lose, and how exactly did he achieve his goals? Coming up, we’ll walk you through Jorge Garcia’s weight loss plan and discuss some of the keys to his success.
- 1 Who Is Jorge Garcia?
- 2 What Motivated Jorge Garcia’s Weight Loss?
- 3 How Did Jorge Garcia Achieve His Weight Loss?
- 4 Jorge Garcia Today
- 5 Should You Follow The Jorge Garcia Weight Loss Plan?
Who Is Jorge Garcia?
Jorge Garcia is a Cuban/Chilean-American actor from Nebraska. He got his first real traction in the acting world by starring in “Jack in the Box” commercials and on the HBO comedy show Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Garcia is best known for his role on the show Lost, where he starred as Hugo Reyes. Since then, Garcia has starred in many popular shows and films, including Hawaii Five-O and The Ridiculous 6. He won multiple accolades for his role on Lost, including the 2006 Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance.
What Motivated Jorge Garcia’s Weight Loss?
Jorge Garcia has long struggled with his weight, and, while working on Lost, the show’s producers asked him to try and shed some of the pounds. Once he reached his late 40s, realizing that he weighed over 400lbs (180kg), Garcia knew that something needed to change.
He knew that his unhealthy eating and drinking habits put him at risk for developing long-term conditions, such as diabetes and heart disease. So, he worked with a team of expert nutritionists and trainers to try and live a healthier lifestyle.
How Did Jorge Garcia Achieve His Weight Loss?
Jorge Garcia achieved his weight loss goals through a combination of diet and exercise. However, when he first attempted to shed the pounds, his doctors suggested that he try the “Nooch” diet.
With a Nooch diet, you consume substantial amounts of nutritional yeast, which can help break body fat and turn it into protein. While this helped him lose 30lbs, eventually, Garcia ended up gaining the weight back in just a few years.
A few years later, Garcia decided that it was time to try something new in an attempt to lose weight one more time. Here’s what he did:
Jorge Garcia Weight Loss Diet
For many people who are morbidly obese, weight loss is a real challenge. A 2015 study from the United Kingdom found that an average of less than 14% of morbidly obese men and women are able to achieve a goal of just 5% of weight loss in a single year. To try and beat these odds, Jorge Garcia followed a strict eating plan that eliminated processed foods.
Daily Eating Schedule
Jorge Garcia followed a minimal eating schedule with different food requirements for each day of the week. This is what you need to know about his daily dieting plan and what to do if you want to follow it:
- Day 1: Just fruits. Yes, Jorge ate only fruits for one day a week. Unfortunately, the diet plan doesn’t dictate exactly how much fruit you should eat. While technically you can eat as much as you want on this day (so long as you stick to fruits), it’s critical to err on the side of moderation. The concept here is that the fiber in fruits can help your body burn fat.
- Day 2: Veggie Day. On day 2 of Jorge’s diet plan, you switch things up and eat only veggies. Not only are vegetables high in fiber, but they are also high in a variety of vitamins and minerals that are essential for a healthy lifestyle.
- Day 3: Fruits And Vegetables. The third day of the Jorge Garcia weight loss plan allows you to eat as many fruits and vegetables as you want (but again, we highly recommend moderation).
- Day 4: Milk And Bananas. For the fourth day of his diet plan, Jorge drank four cups of milk and ate eight bananas. He consumed nothing else besides plenty of water (more on that later).
- Day 5: Tomatoes And Fish/Chicken. The menu for day five serves up 6 large red tomatoes and a single serving of fish or chicken filet.
- Day 6: Fish/Chicken And Rice. Day six is a single serving of either fish or chicken (just like on day 5). However, instead of tomatoes, there’s a single serving of brown rice on the side.
- Day 7: Rice And Veggies. The final day of this weekly schedule reintroduces unlimited veggies. But, unlike day 2, this day also involves a single serving of brown rice.
Other Diet Rules
In addition to the strict schedule outlined above, Jorge Garcia adhered to several other diet rules, which included:
- Consume 8-10 cups of water each day
- No alcohol or soda
- Exclude red meat, cheese, butter, and potatoes
- No milk except on day 4 of the weekly schedule
As you can see, Jorge’s weight loss diet was pretty strict. While it worked for him, it’s important to note that you should always consult your physician or a nutrition specialist before starting a new diet, particularly if you’re more than 100lbs (45kg) overweight.
Jorge Garcia Weight Loss Exercises
As you can imagine, the secret to Jorge Garcia’s success isn’t just diet. He exercised daily to achieve his weight loss goals. On average, Garcia exercised between 2-3 hours each day. He used a combination of different exercises in his workouts, which included:
- Running and jogging
- Stair running
- Arm circles
- Wrist rotations
- Shoulder rotations
- Breathing exercises
Jorge Garcia Today
After following his strict diet and workout plan, Jorge Garcia was able to lose an impressive 100lbs (45kg) off of his 400lb (181kg) frame. If you’re interested in following Garcia’s journey, you can follow him on his Instagram page: PronouncedHorhay, where he talks about his work and his lifestyle.
Should You Follow The Jorge Garcia Weight Loss Plan?
Jorge Garcia’s path to weight loss is truly inspirational. His success has inspired countless others to try to eat well and live a healthier lifestyle.
However, Garcia’s diet plan is quite strict, so it’s not the perfect choice for everyone. If you’re interested in losing weight through diet and exercise, it’s best to talk to your physician or a licensed nutritionist who can help you choose the plan that’s best for your unique situation.